Friday, March 9, 2012

A Novel Update: Flowing


Cockatoo I chatted with in Australia.
See how happy she is?

I am on top of the world.

Sticking to this writing every day routine is doing wonderful things. I’m invested in my work and engaged by it. I look forward to it every day now, because most of the time it’s flowing. I’m sure that has a lot to do with my mental commitment to it.


The evening before last I actually found myself multitasking in a most extraordinary way: I was cooking dinner, Skype chatting with my mum, and writing furiously, all at the same time. That's when I know it's really flowing. Feels amazing.

And I did Something Really Big. I changed a major character’s name. It’s had a dramatic effect on him and on my story. I’ll share my thoughts about that soon.

2+ hours a day (or at least > one). 6+ days a week. It’s key.


Current word count: 31,007 (+4583)

Current state:

  • solid short synopsis
  • clear overarching plot in mind
  • sketches for three illustrations
  • solid beginning (with small gaps) and established voice…but this week it’s grown and changed. The beginning starts in a new place. It’s better.
  • vastly messy middle with large gaps, clearer plot points, a growing number of characters, and various black holes but many fewer toward the end.
  • and an ending! Even final a line!


Goal: A finished solid first draft by January 9th, 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment