You've been asking for it, I've been wanting to do it, and now it's finally happening! Hooray!
This fall, I'll be teaching a new ten week course at RISD CE about writing chapter books. Through a series of writing exercises, lectures, group discussions, and workshops, we'll be looking at:
- Discovering your writing process
- Narrative structure
- Developing characters that engage, excite, and endure
- POV, language style, and developing a voice
- Handling exposition
- Pacing... keeping your reader turning the page
- How to imbue a single chapter book text with series potential
- How to approach agents and publishers and writing great query letters
- And much more.
RISD and I have some other children's book offerings in the pipeline, too, so watch this space.